No matter where you are in the world, whether you’re looking at snow out your window or sweltering from the summer’s heat, this is a very nourishing and delicious salad suitable for all weather conditions. I took this salad to my family BBQ for our Australian day celebration earlier this week. We have had a very intense heat wave for the last few weeks but Australia Day was cool and drizzly so this salad was quite fitting. You can also use a wide variety of vegetables in this salad if you are not an eggplant fan, and it will still work well!
- 1 ½ cups (250 g) quinoa, uncooked
- 3 cups (600 ml) vegetable broth or low sodium stock
- 1 white eggplant, chopped into cubes
- 1 black eggplant, chopped into cubes
- 2 green zucchinis (courgette), chopped into cubes
- 1 small orange sweet potato, chopped into cubes
- 1 small purple sweet potato, chopped into cubes
- 1/4 pumpkin, chopped into cubes
- 2 – 3 kale (Tuscan cabbage) leaves, chopped roughly
- 1 yellow bell pepper (capsicum)
- 2 – 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup (30 g) slivered almonds
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1-2 fresh garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 handful of chives, chopped
- 1 handful of parsley, chopped
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C).
- Rinse and drain quinoa then add to a saucepan with 3 cups of broth. Bring to boil then simmer for 15 – 20 minutes or until all water is absorbed.
- Wash all the produce well.
- Chop the eggplants, zucchinis, sweet potatoes, pumpkin and pepper into cubes, then place on baking tray.
- Toss in coconut oil and season with salt and pepper, then cook for 30 minutes.
- Place kale into oven with 15 minutes remaining for the roasted veggies. (You can also steam, boil or simply enjoy raw.)
- Slightly toast almonds (optional).
- Mix dressing ingredients together in a small bowl until well combined.
- Remove roasted vegetables and kale from oven then toss with red onion, almonds and dressing in a large bowl.
- Serve immediately.
- Quinoa – wild rice or red rice
- Eggplant – mushrooms
- Zucchini – broccoli, green beans, snow peas
- Sweet potato – golden beets, carrots, winter squash
- Pumpkin – acorn squash, winter squash
- Kale – spinach, watercress
- Yellow pepper – green or red pepper
- Coconut oil – olive oil, avocado, hemp oil
- Red onion – brown onion, scallions(shallots), spring onions
- Almonds – pine nuts, cashews, macadamia, slivered or whole almonds
- Lemon Juice – red wine vinegar
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Servings: 4 - 6
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat2g
- Protein 11g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on product size and juicer used.