Light, fresh summery meals are perfect when the weather is hot and we are super busy and on the go. Zoodle dishes are increasingly popular as a lower calorie and carb alternative to traditional pasta. This was my first homemade zoodle recipe and it was fast, fun and delicious! I purchased an inexpensive spiralizer online for about $13, then grabbed a squash from our garden and in just a few minutes, dinner was ready!!
An entire medium zucchini only has 33 calories and 6 gm of carbs. With 2 gm of protein and fiber plus 15% of your daily needs for potassium, 12% for folate and 50% for Vitamin C, this summer veggie while watery and light in flavor is packed with good nutrition. There’s even magnesium, B vitamins and some calcium included.
Non-pasta noodle dishes can be made with zucchini or summer squash but carrots work well too. Here are some other zoodle recipes that are sure to please.
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 large orange bell pepper (capsicum)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 6 large leaves of kale
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano
- 1 tbsp fresh basil
- 32 oz Pomi strained tomatoes (or cook down about 12 large fresh tomatoes) See this Fresh, Easy Herb Tomato Sauce recipe for more sauce ideas using fresh tomatoes.
- 3 garlic cloves
- 4 tbsp fresh oregano
- 4 tbsp fresh basil
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt/Himalayan salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Wash all produce well.
- Insert Zucchini into spiralizer and twist over a bowl to create noodles.
- Chop pepper, tomatoes and kale.
- Add chopped veggies to bowl with zoodles.
- Chop oregano and basil then add to bowl.
- Serve into bowls then top with sauce.
- Place pot on stove top over medium-low heat.
- Add olive oil.
- Smash garlic to remove peel then chop.
- Add garlic to olive oil after its slightly warm.
- Let cook for about 2 minutes, then pour in strained tomatoes.
- Chop herbs then add to sauce.
- Add cumin, honey, salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low and let cook for about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, tasting and adjusting spices as desired.
- Pour sauce over zoodles, then top with more fresh herbs and enjoy!
- Zucchini – summer/yellow squash, carrots
- Garlic – onions, leeks
- Oregano – thyme, sage, chives
- Basil – rosemary, thyme, sage
- Honey – coconut sugar, molasses
- Olive oil – avocado oil, coconut oil
- Cumin – cayenne pepper
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat0g
- Protein 7g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.