10 Tips For Mastering The Art Of Cooking Instead Of Eating Out
10 Tips For Mastering The Art of Cooking Instead of Eating Out:
- Have a list of staples (no not the office supplies, silly, your go-to healthy foods) and keep them stocked in your kitchen at all times.
- Bookmark your favorite recipe websites so you can have culinary inspiration at your fingertips.
- Keep it simple AND fun. Save the more complicated recipes for the weekend (or whenever you have more time) but feel free to spice up your repertoire a bit. Maybe your usual recipe would work well with a green or grain you have never tried before!
- Keep your cooking prep area as clean and clutter-free as possible so you have a clean slate to start prepping your meal.
- Have a monthly spring cleaning of your cabinets, refrigerator, and freezer and toss any foods that have passed their expiration date. This will prevent any unwanted surprises.
- For perishable items, write on the label the date you opened it (i.e. a jar of marinara sauce) so you know exactly when you need to use the rest by.
- Pick a day in the week (like Sunday) where you can cook large quantities of your soups, grains, casseroles, etc that you keep eat throughout the week.
- Cook for someone else instead of meeting for after work drinks or dinner. Not only is this easier on your wallet (and usually your waistline), it’s often of more memorable and cherished experience.
- Schedule trips to the market and cooking time into your routine. Make the time and write it down or save it in your calendar.
- Reward yourself with some of the money you saved by not eating out!