If you haven’t jumped on the avocado toast train yet, you’re missing out! There’s nothing better than delicious (and nutritious) breakfasts, and this one definitely tops my list of healthy go-to ways to start my morning. Toast is often thought of as an empty breakfast, but when it’s topped with heart healthy, anti-inflammatory avocado and vitamin c-rich tomato, it’s nothing but a good-for-you, complete meal. I choose to use gluten-free bread, but you could use a hearty whole grain or sprouted bread instead, as these options will give you more fiber and protein as well as brain-healthy fat.
- 2 slices of gluten-free bread (if you’re not gluten-free, then use sprouted Ezekiel bread)
- 1/2 avocado, smashed
- 1/2 heirloom tomato, sliced
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- chopped basil, for garnish
- dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Toast your bread (only if you want to!).
- In a small bowl, mash the avocado to a consistency you prefer.
- Slice the tomato.
- Spread the smashed avocado on the toast then layer with sliced tomato and add dash of salt and pepper, spritz of lemon and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper if you want to spice it up.
- Cut in half (or leave whole), then serve and enjoy!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat2g
- Protein 10g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.