It’s getting colder here in Australia so warming meals are what’s cooking in the kitchen. This soup is easy to throw together and the peppers break down nicely to give it a rich, strong flavor along with potent spices. Feel free to add more spices if desired. It is important to taste as you go and add more verses adding too many right away. And while you add them in, don’t forget that spices have amazing healing properties. Enjoy!
- 1 ½ cups (300g) brown lentils
- 1 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili (optional)
- 2 red bell peppers (capsicum), chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 4 cups (1L) vegetable stock
- 2 cans or bottle (800g) of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp sea salt and pepper, to taste
Fresh coriander and parsley
- Rinse the lentils under cold water.
- On medium heat, slowly cook the onions and garlic in oil until soft.
- Add the spices and chili; cook until fragrant.
- Add the peppers, carrots and celery and stir for a few minutes.
- Add the lentils, stock, tomatoes, salt and pepper and cook slowly for 45 minutes or until the lentils are cooked.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and coriander leaves.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat0.5g
- Protein 10g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.