By Kristen DeAngelis
Aren’t we all looking to get rid of whatever is “leftover” in the fridge? An easy way to use up any leftover veggies is to throw them in the oven while you prepare additional items for your meal (or while you make a juice to have later!)
Today was the last day to salvage my farmers’ market green beans so I put together an easy side dish that anyone can do! What is so great about this recipe?
√ Only 5 Ingredients
Best of all … Green Beans are good for me!
√ Vitamin K
√ Vitamin C
√ Antioxidants (including a wide range of carotenoids and flavonoids)
Ideas to use your roasted beans?
– Easy snack or appetizer
– Nicoise Salad: A classic French salad dish, that combines green beans to a green salad with your choice of protein (traditionally tuna fish, but you could add a hard boiled egg or a different omega rich fish like salmon), red onion, tomato, olives, and artichoke hearts, with a drizzle of lemon and olive oil. If you are Vegan, you could add sliced nuts or seeds like toasted almonds/walnuts, or sunflower/pumpkin seeds.
– Side for Vegan Main Dish such as Stuffed Acorn Squash or any variety of a Quinoa Salad
– *If consuming fish/seafood, serve beans as a side for omega rich fish like Salmon, Herring, or Tuna
This easy, low cost, 5 ingredient recipe is a winning complement to any meal at the table. Enjoy!
1. Preheat oven to 400F or 200C while you prepare your ingredients.
3. Trim green bean ends, and slice diagonally for eye appeal effect.
5. Chop 1 tablespoon of fresh rosemary and any additional herbs you desire like sage or thyme. Note: Fresh herbs are most fragrant and flavorful. However dried herbs are fabulous to use to boost the flavor of any dish too! If using dried herbs, use half the amount of your fresh counterpart. In this case, use ½ Tablespoon of dried Rosemary.
6. Slice lemon into thin slices.
7. Drizzle green beans in oil, salt, pepper, and herbs. Shake once or twice to ensure seasoning is well incorporated. Top with lemon slices.
10. While you are roasting your beans, you can prepare your main entrée!