I had this salad while I was away in the Blue Mountains, and enjoyed it so much, I was inspired to create my own take. This salad is easy and delicious, and works as either a main or side dish. The fresh nuts and grilled pear, along with the dressing, are the big event of this salad. If you don’t want dairy, sub in avocado or nut cheese in place of the blue cheese.
For the Salad
- 1 tsp of coconut oil
- 2 pears, thickly sliced
- 1 rhubarb stick (optional), chopped
- 4 cups of mixed salad leaves
- 1 cup of walnut
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1/4 cup of walnut oil
- 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp of seeded mustard
- 2 tsp of honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a grill or pan on medium heat.
- Add coconut oil then add the pears and optional rhubarb and brown then turn over. You can also add a little water towards the end of the cooking time to get some steam to soften them up. Leave the pears slightly crunchy.
- Prepare dressing: combine the ingredients and season with salt and pepper.
- Wash and prepare the rest of the salad ingredients and mix into a bowl, adding the cooked pears.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and mix in and enjoy!
Pears – apples, peach, nectarine
Salad leaves – kale, spinach, romaine
Walnut – pistachios, pecans
Walnut oil – Olive oil
Servings: 4 servings
- Nutrition per serving:
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.