By Claire Georgiou, Reboot Naturopath, B.HSc ND
I love these crackers! They are super easy, take almost no time to prepare, and are a fun and delicious way to add extra nutrients and fiber to your diet. Flaxseeds have a number of health benefits including reducing the possible risk of breast and prostate cancer due to their lignan content. This is a great healthy alternative to pre-packaged processed crackers. Enjoy this health snack that’s super crunchy and addictive!
1. Cover flaxseeds with water and soak the flaxseeds for 2 hours. Add more water if necessary, you want them to be gooey and sticking together, but not too runny or too thick.
2. Cover the other seeds with water in a separate bowl and soak for 2 hours and rinse.
3. Combine the flaxseeds with the rinsed sesame seeds, sunflower seeds and pepitas.
4. Stir in the remaining ingredients and combine well.
5. On a lined large baking tray (you may need 2) smooth out the mixture to form a very thin layer without holes in the mixture. Set your oven on its lowest temperature and bake for 6 – 8 hours turning over after 4 hours. (To turn it over I used another layer of baking paper smoothed out over the top to enable me to turn it over easily, then after another hour slowly peeled the top layer of baking paper away).
6. Once they feel crispy and very dry you can remove them from the oven and allow to cool.
Note: You can also use a dehydrator if you have one instead of the oven.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 6 hours
Total Time: 6 hours, 20 minutes
Trans Fat: 0g