This soup was inspired by Dear Hubby’s favorite at Olive Garden, which is loaded with REAL Italian sausage, bacon, and cream. But this was a wonderful, much healthier, and still super flavorful substitute. Dear Hubby said he loved it and would definitely eat this again and again! And each serving has a full CUP of kale in it!
A hearty Italian soup made with kale, potatoes, veggie balls, and onions.
- 8 Veggie Balls
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1⁄8 onion (diced)
- 10 – 12 kale leaves (chopped)
- 2 large russet potatoes (cubed)
- 32 ounces (1L) vegetable broth, or make your own
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) white wine vinegar, diluted in ½ cup filtered water (Or use ½ cup white wine)
- 1 tomato (diced, optional)
- Follow the instructions to make your own veggie balls using pulp from your juicer.
Note: This step is optional. The soup is delicious without them as well.
- Sauté diced onions and garlic in a pan until cooked and browned.
- Remove from heat and pour into a large crock pot.
- Sauté the diced kale for 2 – 3 minutes, just enough to soften and lightly brown.
- Add kale to crock pot and remaining ingredients (except for 1 cup water).
- Cook on high for 4 – 6 hours.
- Add remaining 1 cup of water after about 4 hours.
And while you’re at it, check out her top ten favorite kale recipes.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 4 hours
Total time: 4 hours, 30 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat0g
- Protein 11g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.