If you want to enjoy the health benefits of a bone broth, but stick to a plant-based diet, then this recipe is for you. Featuring dark leafy greens, shiitake mushrooms and leeks, this broth offers tons of minerals and provides building blocks for your body to create collagen and boost your immune system. It’s also great for healing your gut thanks to the sea veggies, turmeric and healthy fats. Use this broth on its own or as a base to create a vegetarian soup.
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 small garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 knob ginger, finely chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 cup of greens (kale, broccoli, or collards)
- 6 cups of filtered water
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (or juice of ½ a lemon)
- 2, 4-inch pieces of kombu (an edible kelp)
- 1 cup dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons of turmeric powder
- ½ cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- Add all ingredients to a large soup pot, bring to a boil and then simmer with the lid on for 1 hour (or more).
- Once the mixture has cooked for your desired time, strain the liquid into a large bowl or mason jar.
- Serve warm in mugs or bowls.
- Alternatively, you can store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week. Or freeze for later use in an airtight container. You can use this broth as a base for other soups or cooking dried beans.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour (or more)
- Nutrition per serving:
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.