By Jamie Webber
Food holidays are the perfect excuse to get in the kitchen and make something new to celebrate whatever food is being recognized. National Donut Day? Fine, we’ll make raw, vegan donuts! Today is National Strawberry Parfait Day? Perfect, strawberry parfait it is! Thanks to Shari’s Berries for bringing this to my attention. Sometimes I can’t keep up with all of these food holidays. And here’s what I came up with…a combination of creamy and sweet with a chocolate nutty crunch.
1. Soak the cashews in water for at least 1 hour before making. (This is optional as I rarely have the patience to soak the nuts before I make them into dessert and I’ve never had any problems — but if you have the time, it helps assure a creamier ‘pudding’)
2. Combine cashews, strawberries, coconut butter, coconut oil, dates, water and salt into a food processor or high-powered blender. Process until creamy; you may need to add more water if your mix is looking to thick but give it at least 45 seconds in the food processor until you determine if it needs more or not.
3. Once pudding is formed, place in the fridge while you make the chocolate chunk.
4. Wash the food processor. Then add walnuts, cashews, cacao nibs, cacao powder, dates, and salt and process briefly until a chunk crumble is formed.
5. To make it stick together sprinkle maple syrup on crumble then process for another 10 seconds.
6. When crumble is finished, remove ‘pudding’ from fridge.
7. To make your parfait, slice the fresh bananas and strawberries, and add a few to the bottom of a small glass jar. Then add pudding, followed by a sprinkle of the chocolate crunch, followed by another row of fresh banana and strawberries and so on. I made about two layers of the pudding in each small jar.
TIP: The longer you keep the ‘pudding’ in the fridge the more flavorful it will become.
Trans Fat: 7g