By Julieanna Hever
There is no doubt that food is the miracle health cure we have all been searching for. A diet based in whole plant foods is indeed the pathway to optimal health. Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead along with the Reboot Program is the perfect introduction to the power of eating (and drinking) and its extraordinary impact on your health. I have been in the health and fitness industry for nearly two decades, but it wasn’t until I began implementing whole food, plant-based nutrition that I began to see dramatically positive results with my clients, students, and audiences. As a Plant-Based Dietitian, I see people reversing many chronic diseases, losing weight effortlessly, enhancing exercise performance, and increasing their energy on a daily basis. I am honored to be a part of this nutrition information evolution.
Go Green…with your diet, that is!!!
o Why greens are the premium food group:
– Per calorie, green vegetables are the most nutritious food available on the planet
– Greens are high in vegetable protein
· Broccoli and spinach have more than twice the amount of protein per calorie than animal products
– Chock-full of disease-fighting antioxidants and phytochemicals
– Chlorophyll, the green pigment that makes greens green,
oxygenates the body, making it a less favorable environment for cancer cells to grow in
o How to get more greens in your day:
– Add large bunches of spinach, kale, dandelion greens, chard, or collard greens into your morning smoothie (you won’t even taste them if you add lots of frozen fruit)
– Add a large salad to lunch and dinner
– Steam green vegetables and eat them as a side dish at dinner
– Broccoli can be eaten raw dipped in hummus or other healthy dips; steamed and eaten on the side; used in stir-fries, curries, and soups; and steamed, pureed and added into marinara sauce or other sauces