Love sweet potato and chocolate? You’re in luck. You now get to enjoy both in this simple but deliciously fudgy dessert. It’s straightforward made with mostly sweet potatoes, along with the added health benefits of cacao and nuts. Sweet potatoes particularly offer an array of nutrients such as fiber, vitamin B6, potassium, vitamin C and are a rich source of carotenoids (particularly beta carotene), which are a precursor to vitamin A. Carotenoids help to strengthen our eyesight and boost our immunity to disease, they are powerful antioxidants that help ward off cancer and protect against the effects of aging. These are a great dessert which up the vegetable intake in your day.
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1/2 cup (125 g) nut butter (I use my personal favourite)
- 4 tbsp cacao powder
- 6 dates, pitted
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- dash of sea salt
- 4 tbsp cacao nibs
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F (180 C) and line a small cake tin or baking tray.
- Wrap the sweet potato in aluminium foil, prick with a fork and bake in the oven for 45 mins or until soft (for a faster cook time, you can also microwave or boil the sweet potato).
- Once cooked, chop the sweet potato into pieces.
- In a high powdered blender or food processor, process the pitted dates, then add in the sweet potato, nut butter, cacao, maple syrup, salt and process until you have a smooth and thick consistency.
- Add the cacao nibs and use a spoon to mix through if you want a crunchy brownie, or process again.
- Using a spatula place sweet potato mix into a small cake tin or baking tray and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool before cutting. Once cooled, slice into pieces and store in the fridge or freezer. These are better when served cool.
- Note: Option to drizzle with homemade chocolate sauce if you want to make it even chocolatier!
- Nut butter – any type of nut butter
- Cacao – carob
- Dates – honey, maple syrup
- Maple syrup – honey
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, 35 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat3.5g
- Protein 6g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.