Cold season is upon us, which means that we need to take extra care to boost our immune systems. Vitamin C has long been touted as an immune-boosting nutrient, and it is, but it’s also a powerful antioxidant too. Other nutrients found in colorful plant-based foods (like those in this smoothie) can also play a key role in helping to boost immunity and fight off colds and other bugs that come on in the colder fall and winter months.
Here’s what this smoothie is packing when it comes to immune-health:
- Strawberries: A great source of vitamin C; one cup contains about 85 mg of vitamin C, along with anti-inflammatory compounds like anthocyanin that are also key for immune health and overall health
- Kale: Dark green leafy vegetables are also a good source of vitamin C as well as vitamin A that also plays a key role in immune health
- Honey: Honey contains antiviral and antibacterial properties to help fight illness and also helps the body to produce white blood cells that can fight infection in our bodies
- Lemon: Also a rich source of vitamin C and may also naturally help to reduce mucous production
- Mint: Mint also contains a source of anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties and can also help to soothe muscle aches and pains that can come with sickness too
- 1 cup (250 ml) almond milk
- 8-10 strawberries, tops removed
- 2 kale leaves
- 1-2 sprigs fresh mint
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp honey (optional)
- 2-3 ice cubes
- Wash all produce well.
- Remove tops from strawberries and stems from kale leaves (save the stems for juicing).
- Add ingredients to blender and blend on high for 45-60 seconds until smooth.
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat0g
- Protein 6g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.