These are seriously delicious and once you chomp you won’t stop. They’re a healthy and filling spicy snack, and so easy to make. Eat them on their own as a snack (great for after school), or add them to a salad or in place of croutons in a bowl or soup. Chickpeas deliver 6 g of fiber in a 1/2 cup/80 g serving, along with 7.5 grams of protein, 140 mcg of folate, 2.4 mg of iron and 40 mg of magnesium. Plus turmeric and black pepper enhance their flavor and the nutrient status.
- 2 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans) from two cans
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp turmeric
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2-3 tbls melted coconut oil or olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 400F (200C).
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas if using canned. Drain well.
- In a bowl, combine the chickpeas with the remaining ingredients.
- Spread the chickpeas on a parchment-lined baking sheet, spread out evening.
- Bake in the oven for 35 to 45 minutes or until crispy.
Chickpeas may be stored in the refrigerator in a tightly sealed bag or other container. They will keep for 10 to 14 days.
Spices – could use rosemary, thyme or dried oregano as a herb flavor
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 35 to 45 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.