High protein plants combined with hot spices come together for a light, metabolism boosting snack for your day. We’re talking about hummus with harissa. It’s one of my absolute favorite foods! It’s incredibly versatile in flavor and works so well in a wide array of recipes. Hummus is perfect for a snack with veggie sticks, toasted flatbread or corn tortilla triangles. We love to use it as a spread on veggie burgers, wraps or just eat it straight off the spoon! My kids love to dive in after school or hot days at the beach with their favorite dipper. I like to add a scoop on top of veggie-heavy lunch salads to add protein, healthy fats and loads of flavor to power me through a busy afternoon and evening.
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Moroccan Red Pepper Harissa
- 1/3 cup (50 g) tahini
- 1 can BPA free garbanzo beans (chick peas)
- ½ lemon
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- sea salt, to taste
- ¼ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 whole roasted red peppers, seeded
- 1 cup (250 ml) olive oil, or 1/2 cup olive oil and 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- fresh parsley and chives, for garnish
- Drain and rinse chick peas.
- Cut lemon in half and smash garlic to remove shell.
- To roast red peppers:
Place the peppers cut side down on a rimmed baking sheet that has been lined with foil. Roast the peppers in the pre-heated 450 F (230 C) oven for about 25 minutes; until the skins are wrinkled and the peppers are slightly charred, rotating the baking sheet if necessary for even roasting. Peppers are done when skin is blackened and flesh is soft.
- In a food processor or blender, add tahini, chick peas, lemon juice, garlic, peppers, hot sauce (harissa), salt and pepper with a bit of olive oil.
- Blend and while churning add more olive oil slowly. Feel free to substitute water for some of the oil for a fluffier texture and lower calorie option.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, chives or any herb.
- Harissa sauce – hot sauce, tapenade
- Red peppers – green or other color peppers, other veggies like scallion, carrot, beet
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat1.5g
- Protein 2g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.