These cookies are easy to make and are full of goodies such as fiber, protein, good fats, healthy carbohydrates and anti-oxidants, and the perfect snack to add your child’s school lunches! The cookies will sustain energy levels by slowly delivering a slow energy supply for maximum energy, focus and cognitive function while at school (or work if you steal some for yourself).
It is so important for children to avoid having those sugar highs followed by sugar lows, especially while learning at school and playing sports. It affects a child’s learning ability so it is very important for children to eat foods that are both high in nutrients and low GI.
- 1 large banana
- 2 cups (300g) of rolled oats or rolled quinoa (for gluten free)
- ½ cup (30 g) shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp dried blueberries
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries
- 3 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or paste
- ½ tsp mixed spice (Cinnamon, Allspice, and Nutmeg – or just use Cinnamon to keep it simple!)
- ¼ cup (4 oz/115 ml) coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Extra oats and/or sesame seeds for coating
- Preheat oven to 320F (160C).
- Mash the banana.
- Combine dry ingredients oats/quinoa, shredded coconut, blueberries, cranberries, flaxseeds.
- Combine separately banana, vanilla extract, mixed spice, coconut oil and maple syrup.
- Combine both these mixtures well mixing together with a spoon or with your fingers.
- Roll into 12 balls (approx. 1 Tbsp).
- Coat these with oats or sesame seeds then flattened in your hands with your fingers.
- Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Cook for 30 minutes.
- Let cool, serve and enjoy!
- Banana – grated or pureed apple
- Oats/Quinoa – almond or hazelnut meal, any other type of wholegrain flour
- Blueberries/cranberries – any other type of chopped dried fruit
- Flaxseeds – pumpkin, chia, sesame, sunflower seeds
- Mixed spice – cinnamon
- Coconut oil – nut oil, olive oil
- Maple syrup – honey
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat5g
- Protein 3g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.