By Stacy Kennedy, MPH, RD, CSO, LDN; Reboot Nutritionist
Kick off your Mardi Gras celebration with this fresh, light, gluten-free salad. Bright with festive colors and crisp, clean flavor, it’s a salad you can enjoy and feel good about.
Parsley, a natural breath freshener, is more than just a garnish served on restaurant meals. Parsley is rich in anti oxidants including Vitamin C and beta-carotene. Parsley also boasts Vitamin K which is important for blood clotting and bone health, iron, B12 and folic acid. Parsley’s rich green color signals its chlorophyll content and it’s thought to have diuretic properties. A twist on the Middle-Eastern salad, Tabbouleh, this salad also makes for a yummy juice (minus the quinoa!)
1.Cook quinoa on stove or in rice cooker (1 cup quinoa in 2 cups water). Bring 2 cups water to boil, reduce heat, add quinoa and simmer for 20-30 minutes until water absorbed.
2. While quinoa is cooking, wash tomato and cucumber. Dice.
3. Wash parsley and chop. Slice red onion into thin slices. Cut lemon in half.
4. Place parsley, tomato, cucumber, onion in bowl.
5. Add quinoa to bowl.
6. Squeeze lemon over all ingredients.
7. Drizzle olive oil, salt, pepper over salad.
8. Mix together well
Servings: 4 - 6
Trans Fat: 0.5g