Did you know soup has been shown to help people lose weight? When it’s consumed as a starter to your main meal it is known to decrease how much you eat in total. Here’s a new soup recipe that fits perfectly into your healthy eating plans. This hearty but light soup can be enjoyed as a starter or a main dish the next time you’re craving a warm dish.
If you’re on a eating plus juicing Reboot, you can enjoy this soup too! You can even use this soup as a homemade pasta sauce on top of roasted spaghetti squash by adding less liquid. And you can enjoy this delicious soup without breaking the bank…it’s great to grab all those bargain bin tomatoes that are very ripe and going squishy. ENJOY!
- 3 lbs (1.4kgs) of ripe tomatoes
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 1 – 2 tbsp olive or coconut oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped finely
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 cups (1 L) vegetable broth or stock
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch of fresh basil, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C).
- Slice tomatoes in half and drizzle with oil, salt and pepper on a baking tray.
- Break the garlic bulb into cloves and place on the same baking tray with skins still on. Bake the tomatoes and garlic for 45 minutes.
- While the tomatoes are cooking, over a low-moderate heat, saute the onions until they are translucent. Add the tomato paste and stir for 2 minutes then add the vegetable stock and simmer gently. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the tomatoes are cooked, allow to cool and chop them up for a chunky consistency OR add them whole to the saute pan with the stock and use a stick blender to smash up.
- Squeeze the garlic cloves so a paste comes out of them into the soup and stir well.
- Add the fresh basil and serve warm.
You can also add Vegan Parmesan Cheese, nutritional yeast or enjoy as is!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
Servings: 4 - 6
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat0.5g
- Protein 4g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.