Citrus-Radish-Garlic Scape-Avocado Salad
Another week… Another CSA box!
I always get excited to try new recipes when I pick up the latest batch of local, organic veggies from my CSA. CSA = Community Supported Agriculture, a system in which consumers receive food directly from the farmers who produce it.
This week has been quite hot in New York, so a fresh summer salad seemed like the perfect idea. When I looked at the weekly haul: lettuce – check! radish – check! garlic scapes(?) – check!
I wasn’t sure at first how to incorporate the garlic scapes, but I heard they can be delicious raw, especially when chopped finely. However, the scapes are as pungent as they are tasty, so I tempered their intensity with some citrus and avocado.
What turned out was nothing short of amazing. Fresh. Satisfying. Beautiful. And Delicious!
- mixed greens
- 1 large radish, sliced thinly
- 2 garlic scapes (remove bulb), chop finely
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1 navel orange, segmented (orange juice reserved)
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Mix all ingredients together in large bowl
- Squeeze remaining orange juice atop
- Drizzle with olive oil
- Add salt & pepper to taste
Enjoy and Happy 4th of July!
- Garlic scapes – scallions
- Orange segments – nectarine slices, peach slices
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat4g
- Protein 6g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.