The next time you’re invited to a BBQ or potluck, bring a meatless dish that everyone will love! This bright, vibrant, dairy-free pesto-style dish tastes great as a dip for fresh cut veggies or even as a spread on your favorite sandwich. Pistachios, basil and kale are packed with calcium, so for those who wish to be dairy-free, there’s no need to add any cheese to this pesto mix! My son Dillon has a dairy allergy so I’m always looking for ways to get creative in the kitchen and make some of our summer favorites with a new twist. This bright green dip was a hit at our BBQ over the weekend!
- 1 handful of kale (Tuscan cabbage)
- 1 handful of basil
- 1 tbsp pistachios, shelled
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup (118 ml) olive oil
- 1/4 cup (59 ml) water
- 1/4 tsp sea salt, more to taste
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper, more to taste
- Wash kale and basil.
- Rip kale and basil leaves of off stems.
- Remove pistachio shells.
- Peel and roughly chop garlic.
- Add all ingredients to blender or food processor.
- Blend or puree.
- Serve with fresh cut vegetables.
- Kale – spinach
Prep time: 15 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat2g
- Protein 1g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.