Power to the Purple Potato! This week’s Meatless Monday recipe is a vibrant side dish to liven up your Thanksgiving table. Think of purple potatoes as a seasonal substitute for blueberries…they both contain the powerhouse antioxidant, anthocyanin, which gives them their bright, blue/purple color. Purple potatoes are not nutritionally like their often demonized cousin, the white potato. A recent study found that eating purple potatoes helped to lower blood pressure without causing any weight gain. One key point to note: eat purple potatoes with the skins on for maximum benefit!
- 2 lbs. purple potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp dried rosemary
- ¼ tsp Himalayan sea salt
- ¼ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ lime
- Preheat oven to 425 F (218 C).
- Wash potatoes well. Poke hole in them with a fork.
- Peel and mince garlic.
- Whisk garlic, rosemary, olive oil, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Place potatoes on parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes then remove from oven.
- Smash gently with a fork (careful, they’re hot!) to open up about half of each potato, keeping skin intact around 1/2-3/4 of each small potato. Drizzle olive oil mixture over potatoes then squeeze lime over potatoes. Drizzle more olive oil as needed.
- Return potatoes to oven and bake for another 10 minutes.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
Servings: 4 - 6
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat0.5g
- Protein 4g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.