When you’re feeling under the weather with a cough, you might want to consider turning to pineapple juice as your remedy. Pineapple juice is a wonder drink to consume as it’s full of naturally occurring enzymes, vitamin C, bromelain and other phyto-compounds. The bromelain is the compound that could be responsible for the helping to reduce your coughing symptoms. To reduce the severity and duration of a cough consume this juice in 5 oz (150 ml) 3x daily until it has resolved. All of the ingredients offer some type of nutritional content that helps to soothe and reduce the severity of a cough.
Researchers found that the raw extracts from pineapple had the ability to decrease mucus five times faster than over-the-counter cough syrup and help patients recover 4.8 times faster. Overall, the fruit was found to offer relief across the board when it came to coughing symptoms. This is also a great homemade cough syrup for children. If you’ve never been into DIY, now is the time to test your skills with this easy natural cough suppressant.
- ½ pineapple
- 2 lemons
- 1 inch (2.5 cm) piece of ginger
- 1 tsp honey
- pinch of sea salt & pepper (optional)
- 1 fresh chili pepper or pinch of dried (optional)
- Wash well and remove the skin from the pineapple and lemons.
- Add pineapple, lemons and ginger through juicer and pour 5 ounces into a glass.
- Mix in honey, salt, pepper and dried spices (optional).
- Consume 5 ounces 3 times per day.
- Nutrition per serving:
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.