I enjoyed a wonderful Mother’s Day this past weekend with my family on our annual hike in Gloucester, MA. Even though our morning hike got rained out, these Granola Smart Hearts were a delicious afternoon treat shared with friends at the neighborhood playground — everyone loved them!
Gluten free, dairy free, no-bake, super satisfying and easy to grab on the go, these hearts are high in fiber and protein to keep you energized during long hikes, workouts or just for an afternoon snack that kids and adults will both love. The Brazil nuts add an extra nutrition punch with selenium. Selenium is an important immune supporting mineral that acts as an antioxidant. Studies show diets rich in selenium foods are linked to lower rates of Prostate cancer (good news for all my boys!). Just 5 Brazil nuts gives you the right “dose” of 200 mg Selenium.
- 1/4 cup Brazil nuts
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup gluten free granola
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. almond butter
- 3 Tbsp. chia seeds
- 1/2 cup gluten free oat bran
- 1/4 cup allergen free chocolate chips (or cacao nibs)
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Chop Brazil nuts and walnuts.
- Let almond butter come to room temperature if stored in refrigerator.
- Add all ingredients to bowl and mix well.
- Spread onto parchment paper. Use plastic wrap in hands to help spread out mixture.
- Cover baking sheet with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Cut into shapes using cookie cutters.
- Pack for your hike.
- Brazil nuts – almonds
- Walnuts – pistachios, sunflower seeds
- Granola – toasted oats
- Honey – maple syrup
- Maple syrup – honey, agave
- Almond butter- sunflower seed butter, cashew butter
- Chia seeds – hemp hearts, flax seeds
- Oat bran – ground flax seeds
- Chocolate chips – cacao nibs
- Pumpkin pie spice – cinnamon
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat1.5g
- Protein 3g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.