Win the picnic by bringing this mayo-free cole slaw. We added protein (chickpeas) to make it a meal, but leave it out and it’s a terrific veggie side dish. Another bonus: This recipe makes a lot of salad for a little money, about $1 per serving! Experiment with veggies; we used red pepper in addition to the cabbage and carrot, but you could also try adding chopped kale, jicama, or green apple.
- 2 heads of green cabbage, shredded (about 5 cups)
- 6 carrots, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper (capsicum), diced
- 2 16 oz cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup (optional)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Wash all produce well.
- Prepare all vegetables as directed or purchase pre-shredded for faster preparation.
- In a large bowl, combine the veggies and chickpeas.
- In a small bowl, combine the dressing ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the veggies and mix well.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
Servings: 4 - 6
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat0.5g
- Protein 11g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.