No need to head to the store when you’re craving a little jam with your weekend morning breakfast. If you have a few ingredients in your pantry and nutrient-packed goji berries, you can make your own homemade, healthier goji berry jam. Goji berry jam is a wonderful accompaniment to any healthy bread, fruit, pancakes or on any homemade crackers. Goji berries are showing incredible promise in reducing premature aging, improving eye health, immune function, liver function, reducing the risk of cancer and improving brain health. Here is more on the benefits of this wonderful goji berry.
- ½ cup (55 g) goji berries
- ½ cup (125 ml) water
- 2 tsp honey, or to taste
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp agar agar
- Soak goji berries in water in a small saucepan for 1 hour without heat.
- Add the lemon juice and honey into the saucepan then gently bring it up to boil.
- Once it comes to the boil, add the agar agar then simmer it for 10 minutes gently, stirring often.
- You can mash it up or mix it with a blender for a smoother consistency.
- Store it into a small, air tight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- It will spread easily with a knife. If you wish to soften it further, warm it up.
- Goji berry – any dried fruit (apricot, fig, dates, etc.)
- Honey – maple syrup
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Servings: 4 - 6
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat0g
- Protein 2g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.