I made this dish a few times over the holidays including Christmas dinner. I almost always take salads and vegetable dishes whenever I go to BBQs, lunches or dinners. By doing this, it ensures there will be more vegetables for me and others to enjoy and less of the other unhealthy foods. This not only helps me but everyone else. This is an easy, delicious and nutritious side dish that can be served with anything. The toasted almonds, garlic and lemon give it tons of satisfying flavor.
- 1 bunch of broccolini
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 1/3 cup (25 g) slivered almonds
- 1 – 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Wash asparagus and broccolini. Remove the woody ends from the asparagus and chop into halves and cut the broccolini into thirds.
- Boil salted water on the stove in a saucepan. Once boiling add the greens and let simmer for 2-3 minutes, then quickly pour the hot away and drop in cold water to stop the cooking process and maintain the nutrients. You want the greens to be bright and crisp.
- Toast the almonds under a grill or over a low heat in a saucepan.
- In a small bowl or cup mix the crushed garlic, lemon, olive oil and combine well.
- Add the greens to the bowl, sprinkle over the toasted almonds then pour the dressing over the vegetables, add salt and cracked pepper and serve.
- Broccolini – broccoli, snow peas
- Asparagus – zucchini, kale, spinach, chard (silverbeet)
- Almonds – slivered almonds, chopped cashews, chopped macadamias
- Lemon – lime
- Olive oil – avocado oil, hemp oil, pumpkin seed oil
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat1.5g
- Protein 4g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.