Since I started my Reboot journey, Dr. Fuhrman (who monitored my 60-Day Reboot in Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead) has become a good friend of mine. He recently wrote the foreword in my new book and has been a fantastic resource helping me and millions of others stay healthy after their Reboot. His Eat to Live series is excellent for doing just that. I had a chance to look through his new Eat to Live Cookbook and it is full of plant-based, nutrient-dense recipes that make it easy and enjoyable to continue to eat healthy. It’s a great inspiration and reminder to all of us that you don’t have to sacrifice flavor to live a healthy lifestyle and enjoy a diet rich in plant-powered nutrients.
My team loves to reference this cookbook when they are having fun in the Reboot kitchen. Last week they made these Goji Walnut Squares with Chocolate Drizzle right from the book. They are an excellent replacement to a typical dessert or as a healthy snack. You can purchase a copy of the Eat to Live Cookbook to find this recipe and many more!
- 1 1/2 cup oats
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup raw almonds or 1 cup almond flour (see note)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 banana
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup goji berries
- 2 ounces unsweetened dark chocolate
- In a high-powered blender, blend the oats until a flour forms. Add to a large bowl and repeat the process for the walnuts and almonds, being sure not to over-process them as you don’t want the oils to release.
- Add to the bowl and gently break apart any clumps with your fingers. It’s okay if a few walnuts or almond pieces remain.
- Stir in the cinnamon.
- Add dates and water to blender and process until a slurry forms. Add banana and blend until well combined.
- Add date mixture to dry ingredients and mix until no flour remains. Stir in vanilla and goji berries.
- Line an 8-inch swuare pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Scoop the dough into the pan. Dip a knife in water and spread sough until smooth. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Place the unsweetened chocolate in a microwave-proof bowl and heat in the microwave for 1 minute, stir, and heat for another 30 seconds or until completely melted.
- Remove pan from freeze. Using a small spoon, drizzle the chocolate to add a decorative touch. Cut into squares.
- Store in the freezer for a guilt-free snack. They can be eaten straight from the freezer or heated in the microwave for 30 – 45 seconds.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.