Stewed fruits are a delicious and healthy dessert, snack or breakfast. (They’re warming, too, for those of us in Australia, where it’s cold out now.) You can use any natural sweetener that you choose or simply leave the sweetener out entirely to enjoy the full sweetness from the fruits. This recipe can be used for apples and other fruits in place of the pears and its oh-so-simple but also oh-so -delicious! Pears are also a valuable source of fiber with 5g per serving.
- 3 cups (750 mls) of water
- ½ cup of maple syrup
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken into pieces
- 4 bosc pears, peeled
- In a saucepan simmer the water, maple syrup and cinnamon until the maple syrup has dissolved well.
- Add the peeled pears and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Serve with yogurt of your choice.
Maple Syrup – honey, stevia, rice malt
Bosc pears – other pear varieties, apple, peaches, nectarines
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.