Holiday cheer is here but that doesn’t have to mean your health goes out the window. There’s a way to strike a balance of enjoyment and sticking with healthy eating. One fun holiday pastime is taking traditional recipes and spinning them into healthier versions that hold true to their festive roots.
With this smoothie, the sky’s the limit with substitutions for palate or dietary preferences. See the substitution list below for more ideas. Here’s more on healthy holiday classics and how to balance parties while still taking care of you.
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) unsweetened almond milk
- ½ banana
- 2 romaine (cos) leaves
- ½ cup (100 g) frozen strawberries
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- Crushed candy canes (optional, for garnish)
- Peel banana.
- Wash romaine (cos) lettuce.
- Add all ingredients to blender, starting with almond milk.
- Blend well, adding ice as desired.
- Pour and garnish.
- Romaine Lettuce: spinach, kale
- Banana: dates
- Strawberries: raspberries, cherries
- Maple Syrup: honey
Servings: 16 - 18 oz (500 ml)
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat2g
- Protein 7g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.