Thanks to my Community Shared Agriculture share I have lots of wonderful, seasonal and organic produce that helped me come up with this delicious soup. This soup is not only tasty with a hint of sweet and a slight spice from the ginger, but it’s versatile as you can add your own favorite fresh or dried herbs and spices to finish it off.
Soups make for great additions to any meal or snack, and I especially love to use them with clients as an easy and healthy pre-dinner or party mini-meal (about 6 oz per serving). Try adding different spices and herbs such as cilantro, parsley, thyme, rosemary or even cayenne to make this zesty soup even more flavorful.
- 3 – 4 tbsp olive oil
- 5 carrots
- 1 apple
- 2 sweet potatoes or yams
- 2 turnips
- 2 inch/2.5 cm piece of ginger
- 2 cups/500 ml water or low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp dried turmeric
- 1/2 tsp fresh or dried basil, parsley or cilantro (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add chopped carrots, apple, sweet potatoes, turnips, ginger, salt and pepper to pot and continue to cook on medium for 5 – 10 minutes then reduce heat to low/medium.
- Add water or low sodium vegetable broth, along with spices, and continue to cook until ingredients are softened, about 45 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat. Carefully, add soup through high-powered blender or food processor. Or use an immersion blender if you have it!
- Garnish with fresh or dried herbs and serve.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat1.5g
- Protein 3g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.