This recipe is quick and easy for a no nonsense meal that can be thrown together when you don’t have much time or when you just don’t feel like cooking much at all. Basically, you can throw all the ingredients into a food processor and poof, you have a burger! Best of all, black beans are a great source of vegetarian protein, fiber and potassium. If you prefer to enjoy these burgers egg-free you can add extra flaxseeds or make a chia or flax egg to help the recipe bind together.
- 1 14-oz can (400g) of black beans (BPA free), drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp of ground flaxseeds
- 1 Tbsp of Worcestershire sauce (vegetarian)
- 1 cup (120g ) of mushrooms, chopped
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder (or 1 fresh garlic clove)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup of bread crumbs (I used gluten free)
- ¼ cup of sesame seeds, and extra for coating
- Coconut oil for cooking
- Process in a food processer all the ingredients except for ½ of the black beans.
- Mix until it is combined well and the ingredients are all processed well
- Mix in the remaining whole black beans gently to combine well.
- Form 4-6 balls and roll in extra sesame seeds and form burger patties
- Lightly grease a tray with the coconut oil and place burger on the tray
- Bake for 30 minutes, flipping patties gently at 15 minutes
You can enjoy this burger on your favorite bun with fresh tomato, avocado, pickles, beets, cucumber, spinach, onions or anything else you enjoy, or on a bed of salad.
Black beans – red kidney beans, chickpeas, butter beans, cannoli beans
Worcestershire sauce – tamari or omit
Sesame seeds – Bread crumbs
Bread crumbs – almond meal, sesame seeds
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 5-10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.