I love to make a hearty, simple soup for a warming and healing meal that easily creates leftovers to cover our family’s dinner-time nutrition needs during the start of a busy week. With winter rearing its head here in New England colds and flu are abundant. A meal that’s full of fluid, phytonutrients and protein, that’s also easy to digest, is just what the doctor, or in this case nutritionist, ordered!
I kept the flavors simple so my 5-year-old’s palate would enjoy it. My 10-year-old is far more adventurous and he spiced his bowl up a bit with some cumin and hot chili sauce. Feel free to add more spices and seasonings for additional flavor, antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds. Fresh herbs like oregano, rosemary, parsley, basil work great or kick it up with some ground cumin, chipotle powder, or cayenne pepper.
- 32 oz (1 L) organic veggie broth (or make your own)
- 1 cup (170 g) dry pinto beans
- 2 large handfuls of baby spinach
- 2 onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 16 oz. can of corn (or fresh)
- 2 – 4 cups (500 ml – 1 L) water, range is based on consistency of desired soup
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup (185 g) brown rice
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- If using dry beans soak overnight then drain and rinse (if using BPA free canned drain and rinse).
- Add olive oil to pot and bring to low-medium heat.
- Dice onions and garlic and add to pot with a pinch of sea salt.
- Saute until onions are soft, about 5-8 minutes on low/medium heat.
- In the meantime, chop spinach and cut corn from ear if using fresh.
- Add broth and 2 cups of water if you desire a thinner consistency. For a thicker soup, leave the water out.
- Add pinto beans, spinach and corn.
- Bring to strong simmer on medium/high then reduce heat to simmer
- Simmer with partially covered pot for about 2-3 hours until beans are soft.
- Stir occasionally and add additional water as desired.
- While soup is cooking, make rice. In rice cooker: add 1 cup brown rice and 2 cups water. Before starting, add turmeric, pepper and pinch salt (optional).
- Serve and enjoy! Place a scoop of brown rice in the bottom of your bowl. Top with a ladle of soup. Garnish with parsley or spinach as desired.
- Pinto beans – white/cannellini beans, black beans, kidney beans, garbanzo beans
- Spinach – kale, Swiss chard, collard greens
- Brown Rice – quinoa
- Corn – peas
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Total time: 2 hours, 35 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat0g
- Protein 5g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.