5 Non-Taxing Activities to Relieve Stress
By Isabel Smith, MS, RD, CDN
April 15th is tax day and also one of the more stressful days of the year for many of us. So to help prevent stress on and around tax day, try these five activities that can help you relax and take care of yourself (now that you’ve taken care of your taxes).
- Soothe Your Skin
This one ingredient, easy to make face mask can help you relax, while rejuvenating and nourishing your skin at the same time.
- Complete a Calming Breathing Exercise
If we didn’t have breath, we wouldn’t be here! Pay attention to your precious breath by completing this simple breathing practice that can help promote relaxation and ease stress and tension.
- Sweat Out the Stress
One of the best ways to release tension and stress is with movement. Try this simple, no equipment needed, 15 minute mini-tabata style (20 seconds on, 10 seconds off) cardio circuit. If you want to go longer, you can also try this 20 minute do-anywhere workout.
What you’ll need:
Stop-watch (use your phone)
Mat (you can use a towel)Workout:
- Minutes 0-2: Warm up- jog in place 30 seconds, walk in place 30 seconds
- Minutes 2-6: Tabata 1 (20 seconds exercise 1 — 10 seconds rest — 20 seconds exercise 2: Repeat 4 times)
- Exercise 1: Run in place
- Exercise 2: Jumping jacks
- Minutes 6-7: Recover: Hold plank for 10 seconds on, rest for 10 seconds, then repeat for 1 minute
- Minutes 7-11: Tabata 2 (20 seconds exercise 1 — 10 seconds rest — 20 seconds exercise 2: Repeat 4 times)
- Exercise 1: Body weight squats
- Exercise 2: Push ups
- Minutes 11-12: Recover: Jog or walk in place
- Minutes 12-14: Shortened Tabata (20 seconds exercise 1 — 10 seconds rest — 20 seconds exercise 2: Repeat 2 times)
- Exercise 1: Forearm plank
- Exercise 2: Bicycle abs- keep lower back flat on the ground, legs between 90 and 45 degrees with the ground- alternate right elbow toward left knee, then left elbow toward right knee- keep abs tight and breath out with each change in leg.
- Minutes 14-15: Cool down
- Eat More Magnesium
Magnesium is an electrolyte that helps to promote hydration, and is also good for your heart and can also promote feelings of calmness. Here are reasons why you need magnesium and where to get it! Load up on magnesium-rich foods in your meals, snacks, juices (greens only) or smoothies.Enjoy magnesium in these powerful plant foods:
- Nuts & seeds: Pumpkin seeds, almonds
- Greens: Kale, chard, spinach
- Non-GMO/Organic edamame or tofu
- Dark chocolate
- Low-fat/organic dairy
- Drink a Green Smoothie
If you’re stressed, the last thing you want to be doing is plan a huge meal. so make a simple smoothie instead. Enjoy this Creamy Spring Green Strawberry Smoothie recipes that’s low in sugar, so it won’t leave you feeling tired and weighed down. It’s also packed with calming magnesium, vitamin C that can help to boost immune health and fiber to promote healthy digestion.
Remember to take care of yourself this tax day and take some time for yourself no matter how stressful it is!