10 Tips For Beating The Winter Blues
If you prefer Mojitos to mulled cider you want to read these simple tips for beating the winter blues:
- As tempting as it is to keep refueling with hot coffee, try substituting green and/or white teas. High in antioxidants (link to antioxidant blog), these teas will perk you up without letting you crash down.
- Eat foods that are in season. Not only will his help your bank account, it’s what your body knows how to digest easiest this time of year. Kale is an incredible dark leafy green that grows locally all year-round. Or try a butternut squash and lentil stew with some whole-grain baked bread.
- Take your vitamin D! This time of year your body doesn’t get to bask in the sun’s glory, leaving you feeling lethargic and depressed. A daily dose of Vitamin D will at least make you feel like you spent the day in Key West.
- Limit Dairy. Milk increases phlegm – something your body tends to over-produce in the winter. Substitute with organic soymilk, nutmilk, or hemp milk. Kiss Musinex goodbye!
- Moisturize. The wind outside and the radiators inside can leave your skin feeling super dry. Add some moisture with all-natural lotions and/or oils after you shower. Look for ingredients like lavender, rose, or sandalwood essential oils, almond oil, and cocoa butter to give your skin a healthy boost.
- Let’s face it, you’ll be spending more time inside so embrace it! Now’s the time to watch those movies, read those books, and start those craft projects that have been on your To-Do List for years!
- Stretch! You’ll be doing your lymph nodes a favor by helping to release those pesky toxins that would otherwise stay stagnant.
- Have a strong support system of friends, room-mates, classmates, etc. When we want to hibernate it’s important to reach out to others so we don’t feel isolated. Have you joined Reboot yet? There is a whole community of people looking to stay happy and healthy every day of the year!
- Add a splash of color! Go crazy! Brighten up your wardrobe, your apartment, your dinner plate….grey skies don’t have to ruin your day!
- Winter is a great time to reflect and look within. Journal, meditate, or spend some time with nature. There’s nothing wrong with saying no to a dinner party in order to say YES to a bubble bath and Enya.