This is a vegan macadamia pesto that can be enjoyed with grilled vegetables, as a pasta sauce or as a tasty layer in a healthy lasagna or in a vegetable stack. I decided to make a great appetizer by rolling it up in grilled zucchini. It’s delicious. I hope you enjoy it too!
- 4 large zucchinis
- ½ cup (70 g) of macadamias
- ½ cup (125 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 handfuls (2 cups) of spinach leaves
- 1 handful (1 cup) of basil leaves
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Lightly toast macadamia nuts.
- Add all the ingredients except the zucchini into a food processor and process well. You may need to push the mixture down the sides and process further.
- Thinly slice zucchini length-ways and lightly brush with extra-virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill zucchini on a grill or bake in the oven at 400F/200C until soft. Cool slightly.
- Spread pesto along the cooked zucchini and roll up and put a tooth pick in to hold it closed.
- Macadamia – pine nuts, cashews
- Spinach – Arugula(rocket), kale
- Zucchini – eggplant, sweet potato
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Servings: 6 - 8
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat3g
- Protein 2g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.