Here’s a fun and healthy twist on a classic appetizer. Sliders are usually mini burgers made with hamburger, cheeseburger, chicken or pulled pork; not exactly plant-based! Being on a Reboot doesn’t have to mean giving up your favorite foods. This version is all veggies and perfect for a delicious, nutrient packed meal or snack. It’s also a vibrant dish that can liven up any party!
This recipe boasts some nutrient rich superstars:
Avocados are densely packed with anti-inflammatory, healthy fats. They are also well-known for its vitamin E content, an important antioxidant.
Sweet potatoes are rich in beta–carotene, a phytonutrient responsible for giving these veggies their rich orange color. Zeaxanthin has anti-cancer activity: it helps encourage cancer cells to ‘commit suicide’ (apoptosis), and helps prevent tumors from being able to create their own blood supply (anti-angiogenesis).
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into uniform circles
- 12 baby bella mushroom caps
- fresh ground black pepper
- pinch sea salt (optional)
- Optional herbs (fresh when possible or dried): basil, oregano, old bay, cinnamon, cumin, chipotle, cracked red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped kale
- 1/4 cucumber, sliced
- 1/4 tomato, sliced
- 1/4 red onion, sliced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 Avocado
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 onion
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- pinch sea salt (optional)
- squeeze of lime
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Wash all veggies well
- Peel sweet potatoes and make uniform, thick slices in the shape of circles
- Remove stems from mushrooms
- Place mushroom caps and sweet potato slices onto baking sheet
- Drizzle olive oil over sweet potato slices and mushrooms
- Sprinkle herbs over sweet potato slices. Try using combinations (I used old bay + black pepper for some, basil + oregano + black pepper on others, cinnamon + cumin, chipotle + cracked red pepper)
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes depending on thickness of sweet potato slices, flipping about halfway through.
- Make spread in a blender or food processor while potatoes and mushrooms are cooking
- Let sweet potato cool.
- Spoon avocado mixture onto 1 sweet potato circle. Add mushroom and top other veggies like kale/lettuce, cucumber, tomato, onion – just like a burger! Add a little more avocado spread. Top with another sweet potato circle. Repeat the process until you’ve used all your sweet potatoes. You will most likely end up with leftover spread so feel free to have some on its own or with veggies like carrots, celery, peppers.
**For a sweeter taste try using pureed butternut squash (pumpkin) on sweet potatoes seasoned with cumin + cinnamon in place of the avocado spread.
**After your Reboot try using hummus, cashew cheese, white bean or edamame spread along with or in place of the avocado spread for more protein.
- Sweet potato: yam, yucca, potato
- Mushrooms: eggplant, carrot
- Avocado: winter squash (pumpkin)
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30-35 minutes
Total time: 50-55 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat1.5g
- Protein 2g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on product size and juicer used.