These flavor-packed veggie burgers with olives, chickpeas, and spices are at home whether they are in a burger bun, in a wrap, or served bunless. This is a favorite recipe of my students in the Forks Over Knives Cooking Course, who love it because it’s both easy and tasty.
- 1 large sweet potato, baked whole (approximately 1 cup once cooked)
- 1/2 cup chickpeas, cooked and coarsely mashed
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, sliced
- 1/4 cup roasted red bell peppers, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp red onion, finely minced
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dry rolled oats, ground into meal
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 tsp salt (optional)
- Suggested toppings: pickles, hummus, pickled onions, and/or sweet chili sauce.
- First, gather and prepare all your ingredients and lay them out neatly.
- Once your sweet potatoes are baked whole and cooled, peel the skin off and set aside.
- (Note: Be sure you do not steam or boil the sweet potatoes since they will retain too much water, making the burger batter quite wet.)
- To prepare the burger mixture: In a mixing bowl, toss together all ingredients except the oats, pressing the potato until the mixture begins to bind. If the mixture is a bit too moist, add some of the rolled oats — they will help to absorb a bit of the excess moisture. You will likely need all of the oats, but not necessarily, so just add them a bit at a time until the burger holds together slightly when gently squeezed in your hand.
- To bake the burgers, place them into a pre-heated 400°F (205°C) oven.
- Form the mixture into burger size patties or into small sliders, and place on a nonstick baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, flip, and continue baking for an additional 5 to 8 minutes, or until both sides are golden.
- Serve on whole-wheat buns (or slider buns), in pitas or wraps, or bun-less.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Servings: 4 burgers or 8 sliders
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat0g
- Protein 4g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.