This beet soup is easy to make and full of nutrient goodness. You can either use potatoes or cauliflower or any other vegetable as a base to break down that very strong beet taste while still enjoying its delicate flavor. Beets are a highly nutritious vegetable that provide an array of health benefits! They are an excellent source of folate; only 1 medium beet provides 50% of your total folate requirements for the day. Beets can support and lower blood pressure, improve physical performance, are a nutrient powerhouse, fight inflammation, support healthy liver detoxification, reduce the risk of dementia and they can ease constipation. Here are 8 reasons why you should eat more beets!
- 4 trimmed medium beets (600g)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 leeks, trimmed, halved lenthways and thinly sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, (400g) potatoes, peel and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 cups (1L) vegetable stock concentrate or other stock
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C).
- Individually wrap beets in foil and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until just tender when tested with a skewer.
- Remove foil and peel and chop roasted beets. It may be helpful to wear gloves to avoid red hands.
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat and sauté leeks, potatoes and garlic until leeks are soft. About 5 minutes. Add beets, vegetable stock and pepper. You can also add a pinch of cayenne if you wish.
- Cover soup and bring to boil then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Blend with a blender, or a stick blender until smooth. Garnish with salt and pepper and add some greek organic yogurt or coconut cream and chives.
- Leek – scallions, spring onion
- Beets – sweet potato, pumpkin
- Potato – cauliflower, sweet potato, carrots, winter squash
- Coconut oil – olive oil
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total time: 2 hours
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat0g
- Protein 2g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.