This hearty salad is delicious and filling, and sure to please anyone who loves a little spice with their meals. Sweet potatoes are high in carotenoids particularly beta-carotene an important nutrient that is vital for healthy immune function, lung, eye and heart health. Sweet potatoes are also high in vitamin B5, B6 and potassium!
- 2 large sweet potatoes (500g)
- 1 Tbsp of coconut oil, melted
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp of Cajun spice (1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2tsp paprika, ¼ chile flakes)
- Salt and cracker pepper to taste
- ½ cup of pepitas
- 4 cups of leafy greens such a baby spinach and chopped kale leaves
- 2 avocados, halved and thickly sliced
- Lime wedges to serve
- 2 Tbsp of olive oil
- 1 Tbsp of lime juice
- 2 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp of honey
- 2 Tbsp of red onion, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Scrub the sweet potato (I leave the skin on), slice into bite-sized discs ¼ inch thick approximately.
- Mix the coconut oil, garlic, cumin, paprika, chile flakes, salt and pepper together, and then mix this into the sweet potato in a bowl.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden and cooked through. Toast the pepitas for the final 5 minutes.
- To make the dressing, combine all the ingredients and mix well.
- Arrange the greens in a salad bowl, top with sliced avocado, roasted sweet potato and toasted pepitas then when you’re ready to serve drizzle the lime dressing over the salad and serve with wedges. Enjoy!
Sweet potato – winter squash, pumpkin, carrots
Coconut oil – olive oil
Pepitas – sunflower seeds, any nut of your choice
Red onion – scallions
Servings: 4-6 servings
- Nutrition per serving:
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.