Sounds delicious? Well it is! Homemade pesto is easy and delicious and it can be made with so many herb and nut varieties! This salad could easily be called a “detox” salad due to the many detoxification produce present such as the garlic, cilantro and broccoli. All these foods have special detoxification properties that support the normal eliminative pathways through the liver, digestive system and kidneys. All healthy foods support a these processes but some have extra special properties, more on this soon! ENJOY!
- 2 cups leafy greens such as kale, spinach and lettuce
- 1 head of broccoli, chopped
- 1/2 leek, finely sliced
- 250 g cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup pistachio nuts
- 1/4 cup currants
- 1 avocado, sliced
Cilantro Pesto Dressing:
- 2 cups cilantro (coriander) stems and leaves (large bunch) + extra leaves for garnish
- 1/4 cup (125 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- sea salt and pepper, to taste (1/2 tsp of each approximately)
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 kaffir lime leaf (optional)
1.) Lightly steam the broccoli for 1-2 mins (optional).
2.) Prepare salad ingredients and add all the salad ingredients into a bowl.
3.) Combine dressing ingredients and process in a blender or food processor – dress as you like (you may want more or less dressing).
4.) Garnish with fresh cilantro (coriander).
- Broccoli – cauliflower, zucchini
- Cherry tomatoes – any other tomato variety
- Pistachio nuts – pine nuts, crushed almonds or any other nut
- Currants – raisin, sultanas, goji berries
- Cilantro – basil
- Olive Oil – avocado oil, macadamia oil
- Pine nuts – cashews
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Servings: 2 - 4
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat3.5g
- Protein 6g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.