It’s getting cold outside in New York. I’d actually go as far to say it’s quite bitter as soon as you step outside and the air hits your face. But the good news is, it’s soup season! Nothing tastes better than warming up to a nice cup of healthy soup after being outside in the brisk wind. And this recipe has everything you could possibly want in a soup: fast, easy, simple, super healthy, super cheap, low calorie, and long lasting.
- It’s fast, easy and simple because it’s only 3 ingredients (okay 6 if you include the dabble of olive oil, Himalayan salt, & pepper).
- It’s super healthy because it’s basically all cauliflower. Cauliflower is packed with health promoting properties and is a member of the cruciferous vegetable family known for their sulfur compounds that can help with immunity, estrogen balance and liver detoxification. It’s a good source of vitamin C and manganese, which are both powerful antioxidants; it contains high amounts of vitamin K and omega-3 fatty acids, which help decrease inflammation; and it’s loaded with fiber to help clean your digestive system (to name a few!).
- It’s super cheap because each bowl only costs $1.60 max, and that’s if you use organic! If you’re using conventional it will be even cheaper. Let’s break it down for you. At the store I spent:
1 head of organic cauliflower – $3.99
4 cups of organic, low sodium vegetable broth – $4.49
1 yellow onion – $0.89
And let’s round up a bit to include the pennies it costs for the added olive oil and sprinkle of Himalayan salt and pepper:
Total: $9.50 for the entire batch
- It’s low in calories because each serving is only 90 calories!
- It’s long-lasting because it makes 6 servings. I have dinner already made for my fiance and I for 3 nights this week!
Did I mention it is SO delicious? It actually tastes like there is a little heavy cream in it and even a little cheese. But nope, just fresh, whole food ingredients.