Even though my husband doesn’t really like chickpeas, has told me that he doesn’t enjoy sweet potatoes in soup, and to top it all off, one time he told me he’d never eat anything with quinoa again (that was until he devoured these brownies), I decided to combine those amazing foods and add them into one delicious recipe. My husband was so enamored with the smell of my kitchen that he insisted on trying it, and he loved it!
I was completely shocked, totally excited, and determined to add this new favorite to our meal schedule once or twice a month because it’s so darn good for us! My daughter loved it too, eating an entire bowl without any fussing or prodding.
And isn’t it just beautiful?! I love pretty food.
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 BPA-free can diced tomatoes wit garlic and onion (I used organic Muir Glen brand)
- 32 oz (1 L) vegetable broth
- 2 15 oz BPA=free cans of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 1 cup (250 ml) apple cider or fresh apple juice with 2-3 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbsp (30 g) chili powder
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) honey
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1⁄2 tsp dry mustard
- 1⁄2 tsp sea salt
- 1⁄2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 cup (230 g) cooked quinoa
- In a large stockpot, add olive oil and diced sweet potatoes. Saute for approximately 8 minutes to soften potatoes.
- Add in all remaining ingredients.
- Simmer on medium for 20 minutes.
- Turn to low and simmer for another 40 minutes.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat1g
- Protein 12g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.