Rainbow chard is a thyroid friendly leafy green vegetable. With the added benefit of the nutrient rich stems, this vegetables is a very mineral dense and delicious dark green leafy. The red stems of the rainbow chard contain betalains, which have been shown to provide antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and liver detoxification support. This dish is versatile and will go with any other vegetable dish and makes for a great healthy side. You can add other vegetables to mix it up or add some dried cranberries or goji berries to add a slight sweetness. Enjoy!
- 12 rainbow chard stems and leaves
- 2 tsp olive or coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- drizzle of fresh lemon juice (optional)
- Wash and dry the rainbow chard and finely chop the stems and roughly chop the leaves.
- Heat the oil in a fry pan on medium heat and fry the garlic, pine nuts and chard stems until the stems are slightly cooked and the pine nuts are slightly toasted (5 mins approximately).
- Add the chard leaves until they are wilted slightly (2-3 mins).
- Season to your liking and add the lemon juice if desired.
- Serve immediately!
- Rainbow Chard – Chard (silverbeet), kale, spinach, bok choy, cabbage
- Pine nuts – Slivered almonds, crushed macadamias
- Nutrition per serving:
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.