This is a delicious light salad that can be enjoyed at any time of the year. Use the substitution list if anything I used in my salad is out of season in your area. The spotlight aims on fennel. It has many health promoting properties; one fennel bulb contains only 73 calories, 3 g of protein, 7g of fiber, 969 mg of potassium (28% of your daily requirements), 314 IU of vitamin A (6%), 115 mg of calcium (11%), 28 mg of vitamin C (47%), 1.7mg of iron (9%), 63 mcg of folate (16%) and 40 mg of magnesium (10%) needs. And that’s just one of the ingredients! Enjoy knowing how much your supporting good health when you make this beautiful salad.
- 1 cup (100 g) baby kale leaves
- 1 cup (100 g) arugula (rocket)
- 1 small fennel, finely sliced
- 1 cup (150 g) red cherry tomatoes, chopped in half
- 1 cup (150 g) yellow cherry tomatoes, chopped in half
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 scallion (shallot), chopped roughly
- 8 strawberries, chopped
- 4 tbsp pine nuts
Divine Green Dressing
- ½ avocado
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil
- ¼ cup (60 ml) water
- 1 tsp honey (optional)
- 1 tbsp fresh basil
- Wash, chop and prepare all salad ingredients and place into a bowl. Mix slightly.
- Toast the pine nuts (optional) by putting them in a small saucepan over moderate heat and moving them around until a slight brownness occurs. Be careful not to burn them.
- Dressing: Place all ingredients into a food processor blend until a smooth consistency forms, or mash and mix by hand.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and sprinkle the pine nuts over the top and enjoy!
- Arugula – spinach, kale, watercress
- Spinach – kale, watercress
- Tomatoes – any variety, red cabbage
- Scallions – red onion
- Strawberries – mango, berries, apple pear
- Pine nuts – slivered almonds, chopped macadamias
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat1g
- Protein 6g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.