Roasted tomatoes make such a simple dish that work wonderfully as a warm addition to any salad or on their own. And the best part is they look amazing with very little effort! A huge bonus of cooking tomatoes is that the absorption and assimilation of the lycopene content in tomatoes is improved through heat (the heat liberates three times more lycopene from the plant’s tissue and adding the oil improves the absorption!). The antioxidant lycopene has been shown to improve bone health, support prostrate health and protects the skin from sun damage by up to 35%. If you’re looking for a simple, satisfying addition to your next meal, make these. It’s easy, I promise!
- 1 lb. (500 g) of vine ripened tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp caramelized or regular balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp thyme or 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- sea salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 280 F (140 C).
- You can cut the tomatoes or leave whole (may need a little more time to cook if leave whole).
- Combine the garlic, oil, vinegar in a small bowl and mix well.
- On a baking tray, line the tomatoes up and drizzle the mixture over the top then sprinkle the thyme and salt & pepper to taste.
- Roast for 50 minutes or until caramelized and tender.
- Tomatoes – red pepper (capsicum)
- Olive oil – coconut oil
- Vinegar – regular balsamic vinegar
- Thyme –rosemary, basil or oregano
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat0.5g
- Protein 1g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.