Have a bumper crop of greens? Here’s a fast weeknight recipe that’s a complete meal, with protein, veggies and lots of flavor. We used spinach in this recipe, but you can just as easily use kale (Tuscan cabbage), Swiss chard or collard greens (which need to cook a bit longer). Another variation: Try adding a cup of chopped fresh tomatoes or a cup of grape tomatoes after the greens have wilted. Just what we want in a weeknight meal: One skillet to clean, and it’s on the table in 20 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 14-ounce can white beans (like cannellini or Great Northern), drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Rinse the spinach well and drain in a colander.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil and garlic over medium-high heat for about 30 seconds.
- Add the spinach, beans, cumin and red pepper flakes to the skillet.
- Stir constantly until the spinach fully wilts and the beans cook through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Spinach–kale (Tuscan cabbage), Swiss chard, collard greens
White beans–chick peas
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Servings: Serves 2 as a meal, or 4 as a side dish
- Nutrition per serving:
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.