Chocolate and hazelnut is a classic combo because it offers the perfect balance of salty, sweet and decadent. That familiar and delicious flavor inspired my smoothie for this week…a Choco-Hazelnut Smoothie! It’s naturally high in fiber with all the wonderful benefits of raw cacao powder. Raw cacao is high in anti-oxidants and magnesium which can be one of the fabulous reasons why women may crave chocolate before a period as we need extra magnesium before and during a period. Great excuse I say!
This recipe can be thick due to the high-fiber pulp remaining in the smoothie, if you prefer a thinner smoothie you can sieve out the pulp after you blend the nuts and the water together with a cheese cloth or nut milk bag or you can add extra water. You can also juice the hazelnuts in a Breville Fountain Crush and it comes out as creamy Hazelnut Milk. Don’t have a Breville Fountain Crush? No problem! Enter to win one today. We are giving away one a day for 60 days (23 more to go!)
- ¼ cup (135 g) hazelnuts (soaked overnight in water – optional)
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup of ice
- 4-5 fresh dates
- 2 tsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Blend the hazelnuts and water in a blender at high speed.
- Remove the seeds from the dates.
- Add remaining ingredients & blend until smooth, about 45 – 60 seconds.
- Serve and enjoy.
- Hazelnut– macadamia, cashews, almonds
- Water – coconut water, ice
- Dates – maple syrup, honey, stevia, agave syrup
- Coconut oil – flaxseed oil/meal
- Nutrition per serving:
- Fat27 g
- Saturated Fat7 g
- Cholesterol0 mg
- Sodium10 mg
- Carbohydrates42 g
- Fiber9 g
- Sugars29 g
- Protein 8 g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.