Who’s excited for summer? Even though the clouds have been lingering here in New York in what feels like forever, I’m thinking positively that there is a light at the end of the weather tunnel and sunshine is coming our way. Better yet, blueberry season is almost here too! So, I’m celebrating by making a gorgeous blueberry salad with a salty cashew touch, fiber and protein from the quinoa, and yes, you guessed it, blueberries. Here’s the secret: I’m not only using blueberries as a salad topper but it also makes a perfect touch to the salad dressing. This salad is sure to make all of your coworkers jealous.
- 1/2 cup (90 g) quinoa
- 1/2 cup (80 g ) blueberries
- 1/2 cup (100 g) raw cashews
- 1 cup (250 ml) vegetable broth
- 1 5 oz (142g) container of mixed greens
- 1/2 cup (80 g) blueberries
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Rinse quinoa then add to small saucepan with vegetable broth or water (the broth adds more flavor but water works perfectly fine). Bring to a boil over then reduce to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Set aside to cool while you prepare the salad.
- Prepare the salad dressing by heating 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add shallots and saute about 5 minutes or until translucent.
- In a food processor or blender, add cooked shallots, balsamic vinegar, remaining olive oil, blueberries, honey, sea salt and pepper and blend until well combined.
- Divide mixed greens onto 4 plates or bowls and evenly distribute the salad ingredients then drizzle with dressing. Enjoy!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat2.5g
- Protein 7g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.