I was in the mood for something red and rich in flavor and nutrients. Dragon fruit also known as pitaya, is a good source of fiber, B vitamins, vitamin C and antioxidants! The seeds also contain small amounts of fats and proteins. Traditionally the fruit is said to help fight inflammation, aging, weight control and arthritis. It’s a lovely light soft fruit and works in a smoothie very well. Combine it with a little beet, a little lime, banana, mixed greens, and coconut water and you’re smoothie will be quite powerful (like a dragon!).
- 1 cup (250 ml) coconut water
- ½ dragon fruit
- ½ banana (fresh or frozen)
- ¼ beet (beetroot)
- ½ lime, squeezed
- 1 handful of mixed greens such as lettuce, arugula (rocket) and spinach
- 1 handful of ice
- Wash all produce well.
- Peel the dragon fruit and beet.
- Add all the ingredients into the blender and blend for 45 – 60 seconds until smooth.
- Dragon Fruit – pomegranate, mango, pineapple
- Banana – Avocado
- Beet – raspberries, blueberries, carrot
- Lime – lemon
- Mixed greens – kale, lettuce
- Coconut water – almond milk, coconut milk, hemp milk
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat0g
- Protein 4g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.